(Image source: blog.bayt.com)
Our lives are so hectic and you think that your ‘To-do’ List is never ending; your workload is piling up, as are your chores at home.
How do people, other entrepreneurs, achieve so much in a single day, you work 10-14 hours while they work 8-10 hours productively; have time to pursue their interests and get 8 hours of sleep. Are you wondering how they do it? How do they achieve that work life balance that so many of us crave for?
Well, you’re not alone. Our team recently had a session on the single most important productivity hack- achieving more in a day in half the time!
Putting in long hours at work and then attempting to take some time off for yourself is sometimes hard if not impossible for some of us. You have to be careful of not pushing yourself to the brink of burning out.
So here are a few tips we think will help you:
One of the classic laws of physics is the ‘Law of Least Action’ that says (In a simplified form) that whatever the end goal is, nature takes the quickest, most efficient route to help accomplish it. Whatever is the least action needed to accomplish that goal is the amount of energy consumed. Which also says that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line (Source: Based on an excerpt by Deepak Chopra)
In other words, this law advises us to do less of the unimportant, the unnecessary stuff and more of the things that have the greatest advantage for us. Now you might say, but that’s what I’m already doing! While some of us might begin with the most important activity on our to-do list, during the day, we might either get distracted, overwhelmed with the workload or lose sight of what’s more important than the others.
So how do we go about doing that?
1.Define your time: Create a calendar showing the days of your meetings with others; days where you work on your own; days that can be made flexible and days that are off. Defining your days will help plan your activities and have greater control of the time spent on each activity. Plus it allows you to have the mental mindset required for the task at hand.
2. Focus: Use the ‘Do LESS ‘ Attitude to ‘Do MORE’ of what is important. This means clearing the clutter of which activity is important and which ones can wait in your ‘To-Do’ list. Also prune the things that take up too much of your time, whether at home or at the office. Do you spend too much time planning? Or too much time on social media? Waiting in queue or on the phone a lot? Trim it down to the essentials.
3. Eliminate unnecessary steps: Delegate some activities or tasks; create a framework where you check your emails only 2-3 times a day and not every time a new one comes. Let people know that emails are not meant for urgent issues, have them call you instead. They can however, send you a follow up email later. Keep meetings short and mostly for decision making only unless there are more pressing matters to discuss. Also ensure that meetings always have an agenda and that all attendees of the meeting are informed a day in advance.
- Work with fewer distractions: If you’re spending time with the family or you’re on a break- do just that! Don’t use that time to complete unfinished work. And when you’re at work use the 80/20 rule to get most out of your day. That way you are focused when you need to be and you have a break spread across the day.
(Image source http://www.photocrati.com)
5. Break down larger goals into smaller tasks: This makes it more manageable and increases your efficiency.
(Image source: http://rayedwards.com)
6. Have a positive outlook- Be aware of what you’re doing and don’t be discouraged if your task isn’t completed as yet. Don’t rush through them just to cross it off your list but do them with the intention of making it perfect. Love what you do because that adds to how you do the task and to what the outcome is.
(Image source http://www.care2.com)
7. Say NO when necessary: It’s all well and good to be the best person for the job but sometimes you need to draw the line at doing everything. Don’t overload yourself and don’t do things that will detract you from your current objective. Before you know it, you will start hitting of targets in your to-do list!
8. Allow free communication across all levels at home and at work: Be open and honest. You’d be surprised at how much time you’re saving by not having misunderstandings, dissipating fights but rather focusing on the now.
9. Sleep well and eat healthy: You can’t give a 100% if you’re not a 100%. So be healthy to allow your body and mind to work in harmony.
(Image source: keepcalm-o-matic)
10. Be open to change: Letting go of old, familiar ways is hard to do. But in today’s time of quick paced technological and lifestyle changes; you need to be open to adapting change into your life.
Go to our post to see why you need to adapt to changes. https://socialpandora.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/adapt-and-soar-dont-adapt-and-get-left-behind/
So there you have it ! 10 easy tips to help you do more of what you love and have the perfect work-life balance.
What are your tips to have a perfect work life balance? let us know !